Thursday, March 4, 2010

Forgiveness.

Simple word, right? Sometimes not such a simple action.

I have recently found out how liberating forgiveness can be. And I am not talking about just the obvious things, either.

Think back on your life. Is there someone you need to forgive? Is there a long time grudge you are holding? The time is now for that forgiveness.

I lost my dad at age 4. I lost out on a lifetime with him. No daddy to hug. No father to give me away. No grandpa for my children. I recently realized I needed to forgive him for leaving me so young. And I did. Outloud. I forgive you Dad.

My mom married someone a year after we lost my dad. Someone that I did not like or ever get along with. Not when I was young. Not when I was older. My mom and I did not have a very close relationship. We didn't do mom and daughter things. Not when I was young. Not when I was older. I still loved her. I still miss her. But I needed also, to forgive her for bringing this man into our lives. And I did. Outloud. I forgive you Mom.

The hardest one for me was to forgive my stepfather. For a lot. For making my life miserable. For saying all those hurtful things. To me and to my kids. Forgiving that was hard. But I did. Outloud. I forgive you, Keith.

I still say it once in awhile. Outloud. It has been very liberating.

Forgiveness..

Try it today...

Outloud.

That is my challenge to you.

And that, my friends, is what is on my mind right now.

3 comments:

  1. Very true. Forgiveness is a difficult thing, but it sure makes life easier when we accept it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent words to live by. I believe that sometimes it's easier to offer forgiveness than to live a life holding onto negative thoughts and feelings. Forgiveness is liberating, blame is debilitating.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy,

    Great philosophy for liberated living! Thnx for sharing your story.

    Caro

    ReplyDelete